This 5-day intensive workshop is designed for students of all abilities, no previous experience is required. The aim of the course is to help you understand the tradition of icon painting through studying masterpieces, and through their inspiration to create your own icon.
Over 5 days of intensive work students will go through all stages of icon painting which will be a good introduction and experience for using the egg tempera technique as well.
Stages of work include:
- Sketching and designing. Students can use images of icons provided as an inspiration or just alter an original image slightly. Students are encouraged to be creative and listen to their instincts.
- Transferring finished drawings onto a panel covered with layers of gesso. Panels are provided and ready for students to use as it takes at least 2 days to prepare them. (It is possible to have additional tuition on making panels on a request).
- Redrawing with paint. At this stage, students will start learning how to make paints using egg yolk and dry pigments.
- Once all surfaces are covered with enough layers of ground we can start building shapes using lights. In icon painting, we don’t build shapes with shadows.
- Gilding – for students who would like to try gilding. We would normally cover a small surface using schlagmetal leaf which is not a real gold leaf. It is an excellent method for beginners as the gold leaf is extremely thin and difficult to work with. We will use oil gilding.
- Applying final lights and highlights. Finishing.
- It is recommended to wait at least a few weeks before varnishing the finished icon painted in egg tempera. Students are welcome to arrange a time and date to come back and varnish their paintings.