Icon painting for all levels
Welcome to The Edinburgh School of Icon Painting!
We offer a range of courses, workshops and one to one consultations for students from all levels. Drop us a message to book in a virtual session.
YOU CAN STILL JOIN OUR...
Icon Painting Course for Beginners with live demonstrations. ONLINE
Starting 29 August 2021
Step-by-step Icon Painting workshop.
This is a weekly 2 hour Class.
Suitable for beginners or for those who would like to be guided step by step to make sure that they know the process of creating an icon. Or refresh their experience.
The course will include demonstrations of every stage of creating an icon.
Our students love what we do!
Discover icon painting with us
Our students love what we do!
We take a lunch break together which gives us a chance to get to know each other.
Cost £280 for 5 full days (10 half days).
Monday classes are perfect for students that would like to make Icon Painting into their regular practice. Or those who prefer slower-paced work. You will receive support from your teacher but also from the community of other icon painters. You will have a chance to exchange your ideas and experiences. You will become a part of a vibrant arts and crafts community.
You will be encouraged to experiment with the technique and colour.
Tradition is something dynamic and it is still moving and changing.
Your ideas and contemporary approach are both welcome.
You will still learn basics of the technique and traditional styles of icon painting. Which include:
Summer / Spring Sessions 2021
Cost £160 for 1 weekend
£310 for 3 weekends
Students will be guided through initial stages of the process of creating an icon. With short introduction to tradition of iconography students will explore the technique off egg tempera. Learn to make egg yolk binding medium and mix paints using dry pigments.
All paintings will be created on mdf panels covered with thin layers of gesso.
Students who decide to book only one weekend will learn basic principle of the technique:
Intensive course - 5 days
Stages of work include:
- Sketching and designing. Students can use images of icons provided as an inspiration or just alter an original image slightly. Students are encouraged to be creative and listen to their instincts.
- Transferring finished drawings onto a panel covered with layers of gesso. Panels are provided and ready for students to use as it takes at least 2 days to prepare them. (It is possible to have an additional tuition on making panels on a request).
- Redrawing with paint. At this stage students will start learning how to make paints using egg yolk and dry pigments.
- Once all surfaces are covered with enough layers of ground we can start building shapes using lights. In icon painting we don’t build shapes with shadows.
- Gilding – for students who would like to try gilding. We would normally cover small surface using schlagmetal leaf which is not a real gold leaf. It is an excellent method for beginners as gold leaf is extremely thin and difficult to work with. We will use oil gilding.
- Applying final lights and highlights. Finishing.
- It is recommended to wait at least few weeks before varnishing the finished icon painted in egg tempera. Students are welcome to arrange a time and date to come back and varnish their paintings.