With flexible options, you can design the best program that will meet your needs and make you comfortable. In the friendly and cozy atmosphere of the small art studio, you can forget about everyday troubles and lose yourself in creativity. Icon painting is a very meditative practice. It helps to find stillness and silence in this very fast and noisy world. There are no limits to what you can achieve here. As a teacher, I believe that we all can be creative and create. We just need a welcoming, accepting, and encouraging environment. If you have no experience in any art you are more than welcome to join one of the courses or classes. If you are experienced or have some experience you can learn a new technique and find new ways to grow as an artist.
10:30am-4:00pm or 10:30am-1:30pm
We take a lunch break together which gives us a chance to get to know each other.
Cost £280 for 5 full days (10 half days)
Monday classes are perfect for students that would like to make Icon Painting into their regular practice. You will receive support from your teacher but also the community of other icon painters. You will have a chance to exchange your ideas and experiences. You will become a part of a vibrant arts and crafts community.
You will be encouraged to experiment with the technique and colour.
Tradition is something dynamic and it is still moving and changing.
Your ideas and contemporary approach are both welcome.
You will still learn the basics of the technique and traditional styles of icon painting. Which include:
Monday Classes - Online
19:30 – 21:30 UK time
Start any Monday
Cost £175 for 5 Classes
The link will be provided after the registration.
You can pre-order our Starter Set now. Have a look at what’s in it here Starter Set
The main focus of this workshop is on helping you to find your own personal style. To help you develop creative practice and find the confidence that you need to make creativity a part of your daily life.
It is an ongoing Class but students are guided individually through the process of creating an Icon.
Not recommended for complete beginners but if you have some experience drawing or painting but not Icon painting please contact me and we can discuss if it will be suitable for you.
You will be guided through all the stages of creating an Icon. You will be supported in conveying your own ideas and a personal style.
Peaceful music played in between feedback will help you come to a quiet and meditative place.
You will deepen your understanding and practice of the principles of the egg tempera technique which include:
ONLINE. Icon Painting Course - Beginners. With live demonstrations.
This is a step-by-step Icon Painting workshop.
Suitable for beginners or for those who would like to be guided step by step to make sure that they know the process of creating an icon. Or refresh their experience.
You will be working on the image of Mother of God. You can see it in the cover photo for the event.
Basia will be encouraging you to do it creatively but you are also welcome to repeat steps exactly as she demonstrates.
The course will include demonstrations of every stage of creating an icon.
29 August – 5 November
16 January – 13 March
Sundays 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm the UK Time
On Zoom. Recordings will be available if you can’t attend in person.
Stages of work include:
- Transfering the image onto tracing paper. We will use tracing paper not only to transfer the design but also to learn and explore the shape and the line.
- Transferring finished drawings onto a panel covered with layers of gesso.
- Redrawing with paint. At this stage, students will start learning how to make paints using egg yolk and dry pigments.
- Once all surfaces are covered with enough layers of ground we can start building shapes using lights. In icon painting, we don’t build shapes with shadows.
- Gilding – we will be working for real gold leaf. You will be guided step by step in this process to learn the traditional method of gilding. We will be working with oil gilding.
- Applying final lights and highlights. Finishing.
- It is recommended to wait at least a few weeks before varnishing the finished icon painted in egg tempera. Guidance and demonstration will be provided.
Materials needed for the Course:
You don’t need all materials for your first session. It will be an introduction. Please contact us if you want to sign up but not sure if you manage to get all materials before the start of the course.
- gesso panel – 15/20 cm – Your options – order from us – £25 – MDF gesso panel – https://edinburghiconpainting.org/product/traditional-gesso-mdf-panel/ or buy 8/10 inch from https://www.jacksonsart.com/ampersand-gessobord-panels
- A4 tracing paper
- Brushes – squirrel – sizes 2,3,5 and kolinsky size 1 (recommended kolinsky brush https://www.jacksonsart.com/jackson-s-kolinsky-sable-brush-round-size-1
- Pigments – basic set – Titanium white, Cadmium Red Light, Ultramarine Blue (Red Shade), Chromium Green Oxide, Yellow Ochre, Red Ochre, Cyprus Burnt Umber, Raw Umber Greenish, Mars Black or Black Iron Oxide. You can buy it here. You need only the smallest containers. https://www.jacksonsart.com/jackson-s-artist-pigment
- For gold gilding – transfer gold leaf here https://www.stonehouses.co.uk/gold-imitation-leaf/gold-leaf/gold-leaf-transfer/23-75ct-transfer/23-75ct-extra-thick-transfer-5-leaves.html, gold oil size – the smallest one https://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/kolner-classic-oil-size-3hr/, hard brush – bristle brush size 3 or size 4 here BRUSH , shellac – the smallest container- here https://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/shellac-varnish-clear-6361/, surgical spirit for cleaning brushes.
- Ceramic palette.
Some materials are very specific so we found where you can buy those in the USA for those who are based there and want to join one of our classes or workshops.
You can buy this set
Gold leaf here
Shellac. The smallest container here.
Oli Gold Size here. The smallest container. If you find even smaller get this. We only use very small amounts of the size.