This 5-day intensive icon painting workshop is designed for students of all abilities, no previous experience is required. The aim of the course is to help you understand the tradition of icon painting through studying masterpieces, and through their inspiration to create your own icon.
Over 5 days of intensive work, students will go through all stages of icon painting, which will be an excellent introduction and experience for using the egg tempera technique.
Stages of work include:
- Sketching and designing. Students can use images of icons provided as inspiration, or simply alter an original image slightly. Students are encouraged to be creative and listen to their instincts.
- Transfer of finished drawings onto a panel covered with layers of gesso. Panels are provided and ready for students to use, as it takes at least 2 days to prepare them. (It is possible to have additional tuition on making panels on a request).
- Redrawing with paint. Students will learn how to make paints using egg yolk and dry pigments.
- Once all surfaces are covered with enough layers of ground, we can start building shapes using lights. In icon painting, we don’t build shapes with shadows.
- Gilding – for students who would like to try Gilding. We would normally cover a small surface using a schlagmetal leaf, which is not a real gold leaf. It is an excellent method for beginners, as the gold leaf is extremely thin and difficult to work with. We will use oil gilding.
- Applying final lights and highlights. Finishing.
- It is recommended to wait at least a few weeks before varnishing the finished icon painted in egg tempera. Students are welcome to arrange a time and date to return and varnish their paintings.
Learn More About Icon
Icon of Saint Mary of Egypt
Saint Mary of Egypt, also known as Mary the Egyptian, is a revered saint in the Eastern Orthodox Church, celebrated on April 1st. According to tradition,
What Is An Orthodox Icon?
Orthodox icons are a rich and vibrant part of the Eastern Orthodox Church’s religious and cultural heritage. These religious images and paintings have been used
Moira May Marjory Taylor-Wintersgill –
I attended a 5 day course in November-a complete beginner. It was amazing! Basia is so knowledgeable and talented and is a clear, kind, generous teacher. I found the process of making the icon very meditative and am delighted with the result. I will definitely continue with this art and hope to take further courses. I would urge anyone considering this course to take the plunge and gift yourself time to create your own icon…a truly wonderful, fulfilling experience.